Monday 31 October 2011

Product Adventures

I’m am currently in a product funk. I say this because I have been using the same thing on my hair for at least the last five months. I’m talking about my coveted home-made whipped shea butter. I absolutely love it not only for my hair, but for my entire body. Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure my household would got nutty if I did stop making it, since they all use it as much I do.

So I’m not a product junkie, but any means, at least not now. When I was transitioning, I tried everything that my budget would allow. Thank God I have now calmed down. I’m interested in trying Oasis for Curls, first of all because they are a Canadian company and secondly, because their product line is natural and simple. I’m guessing, that I wouldn’t need to totally transform the way I do my hair just to apply the products. I’m also considering to try Shea Moisture and Deva Curl products, but they are quite pricey at least in Canada anyway. Although I have a job, I’m not interested in paying an arm and a leg for hair products. As far as I’m concerned other than the great health factors of natural hair, saving a few coins was also one of my reasons for the switch as well.

As you all know our curls come in different shapes, sizes and textures so it stands to reason that products will not react the same on one curl to the next. I’ve listed below a few products that I’ve tried so far and have rated them from my personal experience on a scale of 1 (never again) to 5 (I can’t live without it)

Kinky Curly Curling Custard - 2
I was not super impressed. Yes it defined my curls, bit there was a lot of shrinkage. I ended up giving it away to my Aunt. Perhaps, I’ll try again after my hair grows a little more.

Curls Curl Souffle - 3

I liked the water-based moisturizer for the winter months, but other than moisturizing it did nothing else for my hair and didn’t lend itself to adding shine. The smell is intoxicating is you like cake.

Komaza Coconut Hair Pudding - 1
It left my hair feeling hard and gooey in spots. The smell was great, but otherwise I can’t see myself buying it again.

Homemade Whipped Shea Butter - 5
Love it, it must be in my house at all times.

Jane Carter Nourish and Shine - 4
I used a sample and love it. The smell and consistency were great and it agreed with my hair. It’s just a little pricey.

Darcy Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Cream - 4
An excellent product. It definitely helped with the detangling sessions and was a fantastic moisturizer. Come to think of it, I may revisit it this winter, even though I’m now 100% natural.

Eco Styler Gel (argan or olive oil)-5

I love this stuff. It's great to slick those edges down or to do a wash-n-go. It also give a nice shine and can be easily manipulated if water is used.

Enough about me what products do you swear by or wish you hadn’t purchased?

Blessings and Curls,
B-Curlie

1 comment:

  1. I've never been a big product buyer, maybe cause when I first went natural years ago I just used conditioner and the p word and did a daily (true) wash and go, styled in a puff. Also, I'm not much into styling... I have tried the Kinky Curly and though I liked the curl definition, didn't like the crunchy after effect! I just happened to see some Eco styler on the weekend and since it was cheap decided to buy it. Havent tried it yet though.

    ReplyDelete