Monday 9 December 2013

Christmas Hair Wish

PHOTO: http://santacallsllc.com/


Usually at this time of year, I come out with a product wish list of things I want to try out, this time I wanted to do something a little different.

Among the materialistic things I would love to receive, there is something much more important, I would like for a Hair Wish.

It is for every woman and child with natural afro-textured hair to be proud to rock their curls and love themselves for who they are. 

As of late, I’ve been reading sad stories about young girls who have been tormented at school, not only by kids, but by adults who are supposed to have their best interests at heart:

Seven year old, Lamya Cammon, in Milwaukee had her braid cut and put in the garbage by her teacher, because she was playing with her hair. Why this women thought it was OK to even touch Lamya’s hair at all is beyond me.

Tiana Parker also seven from Tulsa, Oklahoma, was told that her dreadlocks were not acceptable at her school. Her parents, eventually switched her to another school.

Twelve year old, Vanessa VanDyke from Orlando, Florida, was threatened to be expelled from school, if she did not cut or shape her hair. The school seemed to change their mind once, the press got involved.

My point is, this has happened too many times and I think it’s horrible that any of these girls had to go through this. You cannot tell me that these experiences have not done a number on their self-esteems. It is a blessing that all of them have supportive parents that helped them through this discrimination.

We need to embrace and love each other for who we are, especially when thinking about our children. That is my Christmas Hair Wish … What are yours?

Blessings and Curls,

Kim aka B-Curlie

No comments:

Post a Comment