Friday 10 February 2012

Part 1 - Days of Bliss


Now that I’m a curly, I often wonder why it took so long and I want to get to the bottom of the history of the perception of our coils. As the old adage says, “you won’t know you are going, until you know where you came from.” I will be doing a series of posts throughout February as my way of celebrating Black History Month. So here I go:

Before slavery our hair was something that was always pampered and taken care of. Usually, the person who washed, moisturized and styled your hair took great pride in the task and was someone close to you. You trusted them. Often your hair told a story, depending on the tribe wearing a different hair style was a way of letting the tribe now at what stage of your life, ie: marital status, social rank or mourning a loss to name a few.            

Argan oil


Hand-carved comb
Black soap was used widely as a shampoo and shea butter, palm oil and argan oil were commonly used to moisture and style. There was also great pride in hand-carving combs.

The combs are literary works of art and to me this says that they loved their hair with all its kinks and coils. It was important to take proper care of it. 




Blessings and Curls,



B-Curlie

No comments:

Post a Comment